Criminal Defense Attorneys Serving Ocala & Gainesville


Ocala Family Lawyers Make It Simple – (352) 353-8117

Do you know what will happen to your possessions and assets if you become unexpectedly incapacitated, perhaps after a serious accident? Are you concerned a loved one cannot take care of themselves properly anymore due to their own incapacitation? Both of these questions are harrowing but can be addressed with guardianship, a legal tool that lets you choose someone to manage your most important affairs when you are incapacitated, or allows you to become the guardian for a chosen ward in need.

Making certain this legal relationship is correctly established can be tricky if you are not familiar with the legalities and regulations of Florida. You can take the guesswork right out of the equation by working with Dunham & Ingram, LLC and our guardianship attorneys in Ocala. Using our extensive legal experience and client-focus approach to casework, we are confident we can guide you through the guardianship process with ease.

Find out more today by filling out a online consultation form.

Who Can Be a Guardian in Florida?

Choosing a guardian to act on your behalf when you become incapacitated is a daunting task. You need to know you can absolutely trust the person you select. After all, they may be expected to make major life decisions, take care of the ward’s minor children, and handle day-to-day endeavors you used to manage. On the other hand, deciding it would be best to become a ward’s guardian is a big responsibility. You must be certain you are fully qualified to take care of all expectations.

In Florida, a person can be a guardian if they are:

  • 18 years of age or older
  • Direct descendant of the ward, or person who needs a guardian
  • Directly related to the ward
  • Married to a direct relative of the ward
  • Not facing felony charges and has never been convicted of a felony

The guardianship process is smoother if they guardian lives in Florida. This is not a requirement, however, if the ward’s needs can mostly be handled remotely. For example, a ward may want to appoint a guardian to manage finances, which can be done online.

Paperwork needed for guardianship include:

  • Petition to determine incapacity: A written argument that shows why the ward requires a guardian. Medical records that show a physical or mental disability can be useful.
  • Petition for appointment of guardian: The form you will need if you want the court to assign someone to be your guardian.
  • Application for appointment as guardian: The form you will need if you want to be chosen as the guardian of a particular ward.

Your Go-To Legal Resource in Ocala – (352) 353-8117

For all your questions and concerns about guardianship in Florida, whether you want to assign a guardian or want to become a guardian yourself, Dunham & Ingram, LLC is here to help. Our Ocala guardianship attorneys are closely familiar with this important process, as well as family law issues that might become a conflict, such as preexisting child custody arrangements. To learn more about our legal services and your options, feel free to contact us to schedule a case evaluation.

Benefits of Choosing Dunham & Ingram LLC:

  • Experienced

    We have experience handling all types of misdemeanor and felony cases.

  • Committed

    We are committed to tirelessly protecting your rights and interests.

  • Aggressive

    We have extensive courtroom experience and know how to fight for you in trial.

  • Helpful

    We will answer any questions and make sure you understand your rights and options.